Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Parent's Love

I still remember those days,
when money was not yet tight,
Who would have believed then,
that our lives would ever fill with such tension and fright.

Those days, so long ago,
yet so recently,
when we still existed as a regular,
functioning family.

We all got along with each other,
life was so easy, smooth, and carefree,
yes we had our battles, our struggles,
but we came together as a happy family.

Yet the wheels of fortune turned,
and no longer was it Hashem's will,
for us to be on the giving end,
and the once successful business went down hill.

Daddy was once a proud business man,
and today his business is gone,
in it's wake leaves a shadow of a man,
and a family waiting for dawn.

And it is hard, oh so hard,
who knows that better than you and me?
How will we pay the bills?
And please don't shut off our electricity!

What we know is this, it is so very clear,
Money is from Hashem and none other,
But one thing that money can't buy,
Is the love of a father and a mother.

And when we had lots of money,
and we were the "rich ones", the ones in command,
our family functioned so much better,
for without a parent's guiding touch, a family cannot stand.

Because you had so much to give,
and inside you felt so relaxed, so secure.
You gave us everything a child could ask for,
we could never have asked for any more.

And then the day came, the tragedy struck,
when you could no longer provide for your family,
and along with that came so much pain,
pain that simply didn't have to be.

We know, mommy and daddy,
we understand good and well,
that you cannot afford to give us more,
than a home in which to dwell,

In fact, mommy and daddy,
I know that because things are rough,
It is only right for me to help out,
to do my part to make things less tough,

And I do help out, as much as I could,
I give so much more than you'll ever know.
That's the way I like it,
it's payback for the multitudes I owe,

Yet one thing that I beg of you,
It's something that doesn't cost a cent.
it's love and care and attention,
because I know you have only good intent.

You want what is best for your children,
the best that money can buy,
and since you can no longer give it to us,
you feel like there is nothing to do but to cry.

But I wish I could show you how wrong you are,
there is so much we want that is free,
someone to ask "how was your day"
someone to show an interest in me.

That's all I want from you, mommy and daddy,
honest, I don't want a penny.
I want the things that the richest man can't buy,
because they aren't acquired with money.

I want love. I want attention.
I want to know someone is there,
when I go to the doctor, when I have a bad day,
I want to fall into the arms of someone who cares.

I would never ask you for a penny.
I wouldn't take money from you,
but there is still so much you can give,
it's the love that will pull us through.

I will ask Hashem to send us money,
Because it comes from him and none other,
But what I ask of you today,
Is love from my father and mother.

1 comment:

itsagift said...

Wow - just found your blog and reading through the posts in order. This poem is really something. It speaks from the heart...I don't know what your situation is right now (I'm still reading...) but this really explains a lot. What children need most cannot be bought with money, it is the love and care from parents that are most important! Beautifully written!