Thursday, January 22, 2009

Operating At A Loss

(warning: depressing post. I guess I need to disprove all those people who have emailed me that I'm amazing and I'm strong....)

I got my tax return information yesterday. And it was seriously depressing. Last year, I made much more than I thought I made. Nice, huh?
Yeah right.
Currently, my bank account contains about 2 thousand dollars less than it did at this time last year. People some times tell me that they know of this bank offering CD's with great rates. Or a savings account with an awesome interest rate. But how should I tell them that I don't have any use for savings accounts?
Realize that I don't use all my money each week. I don't live paycheck to paycheck. Rather, I use whatever I need, as the need arises. Sometimes my bank account will swell up to a few thousand more than normal, and then suddenly my father will have a bunch of bills that he just can't pay. As embarrassing as it is for him, he has no choice but to ask me for a check. And so I pull out my checkbook, write out a check for $3,000 as if it's a check for $36 going to some organization. But it's not. It's a lot of money. It's for my father.
And I need to save for things like yomim tovim. Last pesach I spent thousands of dollars outfitting my whole family with new clothing, buying groceries, and things like that. So, while all of my money is not needed on a constant, day to day basis, I can't tie my money up in CD's. I need it in my checking account. I need to be able to tell my father that no matter what, he should ask me for the money to pay something, rather than let them shut off our electricity again. Or anything else.
And so, this year, I opperated at a loss. I spent more money than I earned. Despite the fact that I earned a lot. (Working as much overtime as my company allows pays off....)
As I prepare to file my tax return, I notice the irony. And as funny as this sounds, I come under a high tax bracket. Because the charity I give isn't tax deductible.
But I don't need savings accounts. I have a savings account up there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still think you're amazing. in fact, this post makes me more amazed than before.

halfshared said...

Depressing? I'm just....wow.

Desperate Faith said...

I don't get you guys? I am complaining!! And you call me amazing? don't make sense...

corner point said...

Don't you get it? If you didn't complain, you'd be insane. You're doing an amazing job with what you have! You're allowed to complain! It's good for you!

Just a thought....this was all planned on Rosh Hashana of this year. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

And yes, your savings account up there is bursting with all the currency you'll ever need... :-)

Desperate Faith said...

I disagree....but whatever.
About Rosh Hashanah, I know. It is kinda scary looking back at some things that have happened this year and realizing that it was decided a long time ago. Help me daven better next year, huh?

the dreamer said...

is there any way to file your family as dependants?

Desperate Faith said...

Dreamer, that would involve making my parents aware that I am giving them money, something I am not willing to do...