Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yom Tov Shopping

Every year we go to our local grocery store on erev pesach and make a big grocery order. In recent years it has become increasingly difficult, and our cart got decreasingly full. Last year, I slipped my mother my card on the way into the store, and told her to buy whatever she needs.
I just informed her that I would like to do that again. She looked at me uncomfortably.

"Um...we, well, I mean, thanks but I...we...um, we are getting some...um, we are getting some help."

She felt uncomfortable, but basically, I got the picture. Instead of shopping at our local grocery store, we are going to be shopping at tomchei shabbos.

Somehow I don't think I will enjoy my food very much this yom tov.

But, again, I am gratefull to Hashem that we have this option.....

Mi ka'amcha yisroel.....

4 comments:

me too said...

this is where being too young to know the difference helps. when we were getting tomchei, it was a given in our house. when i got older, i was little embarrassed by it, but mostly desensitized.

i know this is not what you want to hear, and i can't say this for sure about where you live, since i don't know, but i know that tomchei in our neighborhood provided pesach for a king. cases of wine, potatoes, apples, oranges, grapefruit. cakes and cookies. chicken and meat. it was well worth it. and pesach is a lot harder now that we're too "rich" to qualify.

Desperate Faith said...

me too, I kind of wish I had never known about this... I begged my mother not to tell any of the other kids, but for me its...too late.
And they will be sending nice things....but...

a friend who understands said...

i wish we can get help from Tomchei Shabbos but it is beneath my mother to even approach them. (and besides, like me too, i'm sure we'll be turned away because we are too "rich". Afterall, both of my parents are employed and its not in the chinuch field)

The Child Inside said...

It's so hard when you realize that everyone needs help in different areas. People who always thought they could manage need help buying food. People who always thought they could cope need psychological help. People who always thought they were smart need tutoring in a new subject. People who could always move around on their own are suddenly mobility-impaired.

It's humbling. But we have to realize that no one in the world can survive completely independently. It's harder when you were originally in a position to think you could. But try to release yourself from the myth that it's possible to be perfect.