Monday, February 16, 2009

Contrasts

Isn't it sad, to see these two ads side by side on a newspaper page:
On one side, there is an ad for a beautiful, luxurious pesach hotel, featuring five star entertainment and even better cuisine. In an effort to outdo each of the other pesach hotels, you can now go almost anywhere in the globe. On the other side there is an urgent appeal for a tzedakah of some sort. Whether it's a family heavily in debt due to medical bills, or a father who lost his job in the economic crisis, or a yesoma who is engaged and desperately needs money for her wedding...
Either way, the contrast is sickening. Do you realize, that while some people are wining and dining on the finest cuisine, there are some people who are eating the absolute barest minimum? People who wouldn't even be able to dream of a fancy hotel for one night, and definitely not for a week? That there are people out there who are turning to kimcha depischa funds, not because it doesn't make them sick, but
simply because without it, their family would not have matzoh, and all the other things they need for yom tov.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not jealous. I love yom tov at home. Even at the peak of my parents wealth, it never occurred to my parents to go away. But it makes me sad, nonetheless. I'll admit, it's a test to my bitachon. It's hard to see such contrasts.

I'm not sure what my point is in writing this. I am not, chas v'shalom trying to put the caterers out of business. This is their parnassah. And I am not trying to say that they are all overly luxurious. I've heard that some are reasonably priced, and have excellent shiurim, and are really nice. But....it's not only the extreme luxuries of the pesach hotels. It's the overall attitude of our generation. I know people have lost money in the 'financial crisis', but what do they give up first? Their monthly contributions to some charitable cause, or their fancy vacations, luxury cars, and home renovations?
Again, I don't think I'm going to accomplish much by saying that. I'm not, as someone suggested, going to set up a paypal button on the side
of my blog for people who want to help my family. (The idea makes me laugh. I don't know why...but...the idea is so chutzpadik...and funny.) I'm simply asking you to think. Think if you really need something. Think what usage of your money will get you the furthest in the long run. Think about people who are less fortunate than you are. Think about people who don't have the choices you have.
And give. Open your hearts, you pockets, and give.

No comments: